Sunday, December 13, 2009

"when the Holy Spirit comes on you" - Acts

I was reading through Acts 1-2 today. As I read about the Spirit coming at Pentecost and filling those people with the gift of tongues, I thought about what it means for me. The Spirit filled them with that power so that they can "go and make disciples" of the multitudes who needed Jesus. Obviously, the Spirit gives gifts so those who received them can further God's Kingdom. These gifts are outward-focused. I know God can suddenly zap me with a new language and I'll be off in some remote island in two minutes, but I'm also looking at how much He's already zapped me with that I'm not doing anything about. What happened to that amazing grace that saved me? What about all that love that overflows? And the peace that surpasses human understanding?

Then I got to the end of Acts 2, where it records the first-century witnessing community. The 3000 new believers were plugged in right away, devoted to the apostles' teaching, to fellowship, to breaking of bread and to prayer. And they are filled with awe. Wait, now? And I realized that my view of witnessing communities has always been warped. I always think that the destination for a group of believers witnessing together as a community is to attract (for lack of a better word) more followers. But witnessing doesn't end where people start believing. They are repeatedly thrown in awe by how the apostles love the Lord through loving each other. It's so beautiful!

No comments:

Post a Comment