Monday, February 8, 2010

02.01.2010 Why the heck are we fasting?

Last week as we fasted, there was a point when I was wondering why I was even fasting anyways. Was it just because someone told me to do it? Honestly a part of me wanted to rebel. Instead of doing what I normally would have done, that is do what I want to do and make up an excuse, I decided to pray. When I thought about it, I realized that I had no reason not to fast. I'm at a point in my life where I really need to trust and hope in God. With graduation coming up, there are many uncertainties about my future and there are moments when I really freak out when I think about it. That is just one of many reasons why I needed that fast. In some ways, it was a lot about me but as I struggled to get through it, God became a lot bigger. That fast helped to me to restore God as the provider and to focus my thoughts on him. In the end, it was all to glorify God.

On to AAIV... (warning: i might get preachy)
I have no idea what the rest of us did while we were fasting last Monday. In addition, as prayer coordinator, I have no idea whether ESL spends a decent amount of time outside of AAIV meetings to pray for AAIV. Do I care? Should I care? Sort of, maybe. It's not my job to make people pray and it's something I can't enforce. I have accepted that. My hope is that people will value prayer for what it really is. This semester, we have been observing a lot of transformations in individuals and a bigger influx of hungry people than we normally get. Along with that, GIGs and discipleship meetings are happening. Just a year ago, we barely had anything like this! As leaders, how are we to serve everyone? In future fasting, I hope it will be for intercession and insight for AAIV and all the great things that are and will be happening. I hope that it will be for the sole purpose of seeking God.

No comments:

Post a Comment